Dispatches From Neverwinter

A journal of my progress as I (attempt to) learn how to build modules for Neverwinter Nights.

Name:
Location: United States

Started playing Neverwinter Nights back in November '05 and got hooked. Tried to write my own module, but I just didn't have the time. Maybe I'll try again someday.

Friday, December 14, 2007

Citadel

On the recommendation of a builder whose work I enjoy, I started playing the beta version of a module named Citadel. I've never played a beta version of a module before, I already have dozens of modules in my queue, and in fact, I was already partway through another module. However, the module I was playing involves a lot of sneaking around, and I was in the mood for something with more action, and the authors described Citadel as a hack-n-slash module. Also, it starts at lvl 6-7, which meant I could use one of my pre-existing characters (I ended up using a 7th lvl Ftr/Wiz).

I've been playing it for the last three nights, and so far, my impression is that it's not only very good, but also one of the most unique modules I've ever played. The setting is original, and chock full of flavor; instead of the typical, quasi-medieval D&D setting, it starts off feeling a bit like a fairy tale, with an old gypsy, three mysterious sisters who reminded me a bit of the three sisters from Greg Bear's The Infinity Concerto, and a quest for a semi-mythical city on a mountaintop that provides a sanctuary for outcasts and misfits. The city itself reminded me a bit of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, with perhaps a hint of Terry Pratchett, and even Steve Jackson's Citadel of Chaos and the old Tunnels and Trolls rpg, with it's assortment of quirky NPCs, the unusual setting, and the inclusion of modern elements in a fantasy setting. The city of Citadel looks fantastic - the authors put a lot of thought into designing the areas and using placeables and custom tilesets - and as I wandered around, I really got the sense that this was a living city, full of secrets and adventures that were just begging to be discovered. I can only think of a few modules with cities that are done as well, and only one - Almraiven - that surpasses it.

The other thing that really jumped out at me was the quality of the dialogue. Bad dialogue is so prevalent in the modules I've played that I'm generally happy just to get adequate dialogue. Even some of the best modules have bad dialogue, and I can only think of a very few where the dialogue is actually good. The dialogue in Citadel is very good, and again, very different from what I've seen in other modules. Like everything else in the module, it's original and quirky and unusual and full of flavor, and it really gives the NPCs personality and brings them to life. The PC dialogue is just as good; instead of the typical noble/mercenary/jerk pattern that so many modules use, the PC dialogue sounds like something a real person might say, and what's more, there's generally no obvious good or evil choices, nor any obvious "right" choice of what to say.

There are a few other things worth mentioning. First, the module is absolutely loaded with custom-made items, much of which is very powerful and very expensive. In particular, there's a lot of class-specific gear for almost every basic class that had me drooling and wishing I was playing a different class, just so I could get that stuff for myself. Unfortunately, it's all very expensive, but a lot of very good stuff can be found for free. What's more, the fact that the merchants are carrying all this custom stuff, rather than the typical magic items you see over and over again adds to the originality and flavor of the module. Second, this is the only module I can remember playing that not only caters specifically to gay and lesbian players, but which makes it a strong sub-theme of the module. This may or may not specifically appeal to some players, but it's an interesting inclusion, and what's more, it's just not in there for the sake of being in there, but instead, it's actually integral to the concept of the module.

Of course, this is a beta module, so it still has a number of rough edges. These are mostly typos, places where the journal doesn't update, and other minor flaws. Right now, the biggest problem with the module is the combat difficulty. The authors have really striven to make the combat challenging. At the moment, however, I've found that it's as often frustrating as it is challenging. In some cases it's a matter of carefully using tactics, along with all the buffs at your disposal, to win fights. However, in others it's just that the fights are simply so hard that they're not fun, and sometimes they're even unwinnable. However, part of beta testing is figuring these things out, and the authors have been very responsive to feedback and quick to make changes.

At any rate, if you're willing to play a module where the bumps are still being smoothed out, and you're looking for something different and unusual, I highly recommend you give this one a try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home